Built by Lord Egerton for his bride-to-be in 1938 it was completed in 1954 after she rejected his wedding proposal stating that the house he lived in then (a six bedroom house) was as small as a chicken coop.
The heart-broken Lord Egerton never married, never wanted to see another woman and banned all women on his property. He passed away in 1958. The castle was built by 100 Indian labourers using mostly imported material and some local from the nearby Kedowa and Njiru. The marble and tiles used to decorate the interior were imported from Italy and England.
Today the castle is property of the Egerton University and open to tourists.